Take a look at the other entries as well!
GSquared Jake has announced an online freestyle contest called “The People’s Showdown”, featuring a pre-selected group of players battling for a $500 cash prize!
The tournament starts with all the players divided into two pools. Each player gets 1 throw and 30 seconds. Viewers vote on their favorite, and the top 3 vote receivers from each pool advance to the bracket.
In the bracket, each player will submit new tricks to face off against one opponent at a time in single elimination match-ups. (The top vote receiver from each pool will have a first round by in the bracket play.)
Winner of the tournement takes home $500 cash!
The player list is a pretty fantastic all-star lineup of current contest champs. Competing in the tournament are: Loris Rosa, Tylor McCallumore, Jesse Christe, Ethan Cheung, Alex Gallimore, Andrew Maider, Mike Marshall, Andrew Bergen, Colin Beckford, Patrick Canny, Michael Montgomery, and Michael Ferdico.
Check out the videos below for Pool A and Pool B, and then click through the voting links to vote for your favorite players from each!
There’s a great video contest going on the YoYoExpert forum right now, specifically geared towards players who are 30 and older! Check out details below, and head to the YoYoExpert Forum for instructions on how to submit your video.
Entries must be recieved by Sunday November 1 at 11:59pm EST***
- Eligibility: You must be 30 years or over before the closing date for entries. You can be from anywhere in the world. You must have a YYE forum account. Your post count and date of joining is irrelevant to your eligibility!
- Video Length: 1:34. Some will find this to be on the short side, but I have the judges to think about. 4 seconds at the beginning of the yoyo must display the contest graphic with all our sponsors.
- Format: This is a trick showcase video. Edits are allowed and encouraged though they are not strictly “required”. Your tricks can be across any category. Mostly 1A but with a 4A banger in your back pocket? Great. 3A has occupied your time and has become your obsession? Go for it. Fixed Axle is what “does it” for you? G’head!
- Divisions*: There are two divisions: “around” a year or under, and then… the rest. Yes, a person with a year and a half of playing will be going up against someone with potentially a decade or more of play. I’ve done it myself and you still have great odds. Even better this year, as you’ll see by the judging criteria.
- Judges: Judging will be by a panel of 5 AMAZING yoyo personalities (including National Masters, yoyo legends, and world-renowned players). Yes, I will tell you who they are.
No, I’m not telling you yet.Turn to page 3 for the announcement that our panel includes Steve Brown, Dazzling Dave, Daniel Dietz, Augie Fash, and Ed Haponik!
- Judging Criteria: For each of the “main” divisions, each judge will score based on a 10-point scale for three categories: Skill, Creativity, and Execution**
Prizes! We have those! Here’s a starting point:
- “A year or under“: 1st-3rd places, each with a package of prizes
- “Over a year“: 1st-3rd places, each with a package of prizes
- “Well, I entered!“: random draws will mean that everybody can still win big!
- “Best Banger“: A premium metal yoyo (and something else!) awaits the best trick across both divisions. Our judges have seen a lot of bangers, so if you’re after this prize, make it good!
- “Best Video“: Regardless of your yoyo skill level, you have the chops to put together an impressive video. The best video across both divisions receives a prize pack including (another!) premium metal yoyo. This is your time to shine, even if you’re not sure you can cop 1st place in the main divisions
- “More“: I have more ways to get yoyos into your hands. Stay tuned.
Every entry is qualified to receive a FREE 10-PACK OF STRINGS! courtesy of our own YoyoExpert just for entering. When you submit your video, just let me know if you are interested in claiming them and I will take it from there.
For details on how to submit your video for the contest, please visit the contest thread on the YoYoExpert Forum.
YoYo Store Rewind is hooking up the old guys with this new video contest! Check out the details below, and head over to their site to enter.
One of the most wonderful things about yo-yo is that it’s an activity that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. Yo-Yoing is most definitely NOT just for kids. We thought it would be fun to see what our adult players can do, so this time the video contest is just for those 40 years old and up!
Not only do we like to see adults playing yo-yo, but we like it even more to see them compete on stage! As a Special Award this time, we will sponsor the chosen winner for one official regional contest and pay their competition entry fee for one division.
(Of course, even if you win the Special Award, whether you choose to compete or not is up to you!)
[Video Contest Rules]
– Make a clip video showcasing your yo-yo skill.
– You use only Japan Technology’s yo-yos for this clip video, and perform only style of Off String.
→Japan Technology’s yo-yos, →Learning Off String (4A)
– The entry period is from November 20th to January 10th.
– Videos will be judged based on the difficulty and originality, quality and polish of the video (mood, music, cinematography, editing, etc).
– Special awards will be chosen based on the judge’s preference.
– Once your video is uploaded, submit the entry form here: (please include your name, e-mail address, and video link so we know how to contact you if you win)
– Entries (including your uploaded video and entry form) must be received by January 5th, 2014.
– Your entry can be an individual person or a group/team.
– Upload your video to YouTube with the privacy setting set to Public. (No 3D setting, please.)
– Videos should be 2 minutes or less in length.
– Videos should begin and end with the Japan Technology x REWIND Offstring Video Contest banner. Download from here 1920×1080, 1280×720
– Videos must be titled “Japan Technology x REWIND Video Contest – [your name or team name]”
– Video must be tagged with “Japan Technology” and “REWIND”.
– Videos must have links to http://www.japantechnology.jp/ and http://www.yoyostorerewind.com in the video description.
– By entering this contest, you acknowledge and allow that your video may be posted by REWIND or Japan Technology to their homepage, Facebook page, twitter feed, etc.
1st Runner-up: $100 gift credit at REWIND + Clear Hybreed [not for sale]
2nd Runner-up(s): $50 gift credit at REWIND + Ashiru Kamui Light (Pearl White)
Most Views: $100 gift credit at REWIND
(The Most Views award will be determined by video view count at 5:00 p.m. (Japan time) on the day the contest winners are announced. This award may be won in combination with another award.)
(This award may be won in combination with another award.)
Hybreed Award : Clear Hybreed
Eagle Eye Award : Clear Hybreed
Shift Change Award : Clear Hybreed
At the end of January on REWIND TV (to-be-determined). & Facebook
*Please acknowledge that your entry or victory in this contest does not guarantee a sponsor offer.
*A sponsor offer may be awarded regardless of whether a person wins the contest or not.
*If you have further questions about the contest, please contact us here: firstname.lastname@example.org
CLYW has announced a new video contest on their site! Full details cut-and-pasted below.
Guidelines: Film a video of yourself throwing your favourite combo, trick, or whatever you think is awesome! … BUT do it by including a CLYW – Caribou Lodge theme. Some loose examples are: you could wear a costume, include some artwork, woodlands environment, neat editing, animation … however you want to interpret the Caribou Lodge theme. Be creative! We will simply pick the video we think is the most amazing.
Length: 1 Minute
There will be 2 rounds.
Round 1: This round is open to everyone. We will pick the top 10 of our favourite videos and those people will move onto Round 2.
Round 2: The lucky top 10 from round 1 will be required to submit a second video. We will then pick our favourite video and that person will be crowned the contest winner!
Prizes: The lucky 10 that make it into Round 2 will each receive one of the new coloured Yetis.The winner of the 2nd and Final round will receive a full set of the new 2014 CLYW lineup:
- Arctic Circle: 2nd Expedition
- Puffin 2
- Gnarwhal 2* Plus we’ll have some special prizes for honourable mentions.Round One Deadline: Friday November 29th, 2013Round Two Deadline: Sunday December 15th, 2013Rules:
- One Entry per person
- Do you have to use a CLYW Return Top? Nope! Use whatever you have!
- Make sure to include “2013 CLYW Video Contest” in the title of your video.
- We will include the Axes logo for optional use here.
- If you’re including music, please no swears or explicit content in your song. We want to keep this family fun.
- Upload your video to Youtube or Vimeo and send us the link via email to: email@example.comJudging will be done by Chris and Charles. All the best to the contestants, we are stoked to see what you all come up with!
The Yamato YoYo Circle posted their entry for the C3YoYoDesign x REWIND video contest and it’s seriously the best thing you’ll see all day! Enjoy and share!
Contest time, kiddos!
So, some of you may remember that SPYY and TMBR recently collaborated to bring you a production version of The Eh, the yo-yo which I threw throughout all of 2012. Although it felt like a fair few while I was twisting string for them and packing them in boxes, the full run sold out quickly and with quite a plethora of folks wishing for more.
When and whether more Eh’s will be made is not up to me. I leave those kinds of decisions up to the guys who know and understand their own businesses. However, we DID withhold one particular specimen for use as a prize to some lucky fixed axle hipster.
This lovely little example is just like every other production Eh, but with one funky distinction. Instead of the oak leaf signifying the Eh’s “Made in the USA” status, this particular model sports the original Canadian maple leaf, as on my own Eh.
In order to win this little guy, you’ve got to get your best fixed axle trick on video. You are strongly encouraged (though not required) to use elements described in the first four installments of this column.
To qualify, you must:
1. Make a video with your best fixed axle trick. Video must begin with this title card: Give Me That YoYo, Eh! Contest Title Card
2. Upload it to YouTube or Vimeo and give it the title “YoyoNews.com: Give me that yoyo, Eh!”
3. Post your vid on the Fixed Friday Facebook group page.
Entries must be uploaded and posted no later than 11:59 PM EST on January 25th, 2013.
All of the videos will be watched by the members of the Light Sleeper Society, that subterfugal shadow organization seeking to gradually overthrow the use of moving parts in yo-yo’s. They will decide on a winner by consensus, and said winner shall have his/her glory, in addition to this unique throw.
Best of luck.