Igor Galiev vlogged his entire trip to the 2017 European YoYo Championship in Bratislava…so if you didn’t make it, here’s a 21+ minute video that lets you *kinda* feel like you were there.
Check out some really quality trick construction from Czech player Dominik Predka. Seriously good stuff!
**DEADLINE EXTENDED TO JULY 3RD**
Hey guys, my interview with Keiran Cooper and Patrick Canny for the Scales podcast was just released! I had the pleasure of talking to them about how we used to share yo-yo tricks when I first started yo-yoing versus how we share them now. Listen to the episode below:
The main moral of the interview is: I miss yo-yo videos. Sharing tricks on Instagram through #trickcircle has a lot of pros… but there is something special about making an entire curated package in a trick clip video. So, I thought it would be fun to host a video contest to try and get a few more clip videos out there! So here are the rules…
1) All videos submitted must have the following splash screen at the beginning of the video for 5 seconds.
2) The minimum total duration for the video is 1 minute and 30 seconds.
3) Upload your video on YouTube with the following title format: “Scales Video Contest – name of video”
4) Submit your name, email, and a link to your video at the submission box at the bottom of this page.
5) The deadline for video submissions is
Monday, June 26th, 2017 Monday, July 3rd. This gives you a little over a month to come up with a video idea, film, edit, and upload!
The guidelines for this contest are pretty open so that everyone entering has a lot of freedom in what kind of video they want to make. I will be judging all of the videos and choose my top 3. The top 3 will receive a ton of bragging rights and YoYoFactory and YoYoExpert were kind enough to put up some great prizes! The prizes are:
1st: YoYoFactory EDGE and an $80 YoYoExpert Gift Certificate
2nd: YoYoFactory Czech Point Pivot and a $50 YoYoExpert Gift Certificate
3rd: YoYoFactory Horizon and a $20 YoYoExpert Gift Certificate
Now get out there and go film! Thanks a ton to the Scales Collective, YoYoNews, YoYoFactory, and YoYoExpert for supporting the community and helping me put this contest together!
Check out this great contest video of the 2017 Japan National YoYo Contest. The JYYF does such an amazing job with all of their events, and a video like this really captures what an intense, high-level competition this is. If you’ve never been to a Japanese national championship, make it a priority!
World YoYo Champion and part-time wizard Janos Karancz shows off his new bi-metal signature model in this promotional video from Duncan.
Yoyo used is the Duncan Toys GrasshopperX.
CLYW’s newest team member Michael Ferdico handles this week’s Cabin Tutorial with his trick “Power of the Sun”. Good stuff!
Yoyo used is the CLYW Manatee.
This years World YoYo Contest will be held in Iceland in just 6 weeks! Here’s what you need to know:
- The next registration deadline is coming up soon…after that, competitor fee jumps from $30 to $60. Registration is available HERE.
- If you are registering to compete, you still have to purchase a day pass! In previous years this was all done at the same time, but due to venue restrictions you must purchase your day pass separately. Do that HERE.
If you haven’t uploaded your music yet, do that HERE.(Music upload isn’t available yet, but should be soon.)
- Submission deadline for the Art & Performance Division has been extended to July 10th! Details HERE.
- There’s a good FAQ on the website about Iceland HERE.
- There is no specific “contest hotel” this year. Because Iceland is small, the lodging is going to be more like past years of EYYC…a sort of “players village” with everyone scattered at multiple hotels, hostels, and Air BnBs all very close to each other. There are 7 different options listed on the event site HERE, plus you can search AirBnB if you want something a little more private.
- Freestyle rules are HERE. If you are competing, it’s your responsibility to know these rules inside and out. If you have questions, please contact the IYYF for clarification as soon as possible.
Good luck, and see you there!
Duncan Toys is releasing a signature yoyo for long-time player favorite Chris Makita! The Duncan MKT debuted at Japan Nationals and should be hitting stores soon…see it in action in this new video from your favorite yoyo player, Chris Makita.
Yoyo used is the Duncan Toys MKT.
Tessa Piccillo once again proves her badassery in this week’s Cabin Tutorial from CLYW.
Yoyo used is the CLYW Blizzard.